Luminary Limited is looking to appoint a Charity Company Secretary as a key role in the strategy of the organisation and to support the Trustee Board. The Charity Company Secretary will help with the organisation and smooth management of the Trustee Board, ensuring that decisions and actions of the Trustee Board are accurately recorded and implemented, and that the Trustees are in compliance with all legal and regulatory obligations and duties, Luminary’s Articles of Associations, and all relevant internal policies.
From home – travel to Café locations in Stoke Newington/ Camden, North London required periodically. Where Trustee Board meetings are held in person, attendance in person will be required.
Approximately 6 hours per month plus attendance at regular board meetings (which are held at least once quarterly).
This is a voluntary position; reasonable travel and training expenses will be reimbursed.
Chair of Trustees
Initially a minimal two year term, renewable thereafter.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Charity Company Secretary will be required to undertake a broad range of secretarial duties, including:
- organising Trustee Board meetings (approx. four - six per year) and any annual general meetings (AGMs);
- organising further ad hoc meetings of the Trustee Board, if required;
- liaising with Chair of Trustees and/or CEO to prepare and circulating board packs prior to Trustee Board meetings and updating packs as necessary;
- liaising with the Chair of Trustees, Trustee sub-committees and the LBL Board Observer to prepare agendas for any Trustee Board meetings or AGMs;
- ensuring quorum and the smooth running of all Trustee Board meetings;
- taking accurate minutes of Trustee Board meetings and AGMs, circulating draft minutes amongst Trustee board for approval, and updating with comments as necessary;
- managing all statutory registers and books, and acting as the relevant contact point for Trustee correspondence;
- organising and storing important information and documents relating to the Trustees and Luminary Limited;
- managing updates and background information required by the Trustees Board;
- keeping records of membership of the Trustee Board, and liaising with Chair of Trustees and/or CEO regarding administration associated with the appointment and resignation of Trustees;
- maintaining the conflicts of interest register for the Trustee Board and Luminary Limited;
- assisting the Chair of Trustees and/or CEO with the preparation and administration required for filing of annual returns and other relevant filings at Companies House;
- preparing and managing all relevant statutory returns and information as required by the Charity Commission and other relevant regulators;
- tracking progress and updates in Luminary’s risk register;
- tracking updates to all internal policies and procedures relating to Luminary Limited and highlighting to Trustee Board as required;
- ensuring that decisions and actions of the Trustee Board are accurately recorded and implemented and maintain a calendar of required filings, actions, ensuring actions and matters are taken and/or reviewed by the Trustee Board as agreed/ required;
- liaising between the Trustee Board and Charity Team on all relevant internal and external Luminary events;
- keeping up to date with legal and regulatory changes affecting the charities sector; and
- other ad hoc administrative duties as may be required from time to time to support the Trustee Board’s compliance with its legal and regulatory obligations, fiduciary duties and internal governance policies.
- A good understanding of charity law and company law (experience or understanding of other relevant legislation, such as employment law, health and safety law, etc. is beneficial, but not essential);
- an understanding of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trustees;
- demonstrable experience in preparing agendas and minute taking; and
- previous company secretarial experience is beneficial but not essential.
- Attendance at Luminary’s events with beneficiaries is encouraged.
- Good communicator – both verbal and written skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to manage own time effectively and work to deadlines
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work well in a team
- Energetic and adaptable
- Good sense of humour
- Demonstrable passion for Luminary’s purpose and commitment to the organisation
- Supportive of the Luminary faith policy and organisational values
- Adept in using various IT applications - e.g. Microsoft packages, Google Docs and Air Table
THE ROLE OF LUMINARY’S BOARD OF TRUSTEES:
At its simplest, the role of the Trustee Board is to receive assets from donors, safeguard them and apply them to the charitable purposes of Luminary Limited. The Trustee Board must always act in the best interests of Luminary Limited, exercising the same standard of duty of care that a prudent person would apply if looking after the affairs of someone for whom they have responsibility. The Trustee Board must act as a group and not as individuals.
WHO ARE LUMINARY’S TRUSTEES?
For Luminary Limited, the Trustees oversee and support the operations of the charity; our Employability Support Programme, 1- to-1 holistic support, Mentor Scheme & next steps Progression Support Programme. We work in collaboration with the Board of Directors of the business, Luminary Bakery Limited, who oversee the governance of the business & all commercial operations. Luminary Limited’s Trustee Board comprises:
- the Chair;
- the Treasurer; and
- a minimum of three appointed Trustees (currently six appointed)
Please ensure you will respect and apply with Luminary Faith Policy.